- The misconceptions about meditation
- What’s the best length of time to meditate and what’s the best time of day?
- Is more meditation better?
- Is sitting on the floor with my legs crossed the only way to meditate?
- The many different ways to practice meditation; even with your eyes open!
I’m starting my first podcast with meditation because
- I firmly know that this is the most important tool to have in your tool box for your soul. If it’s not in your tool box right now, I’m going to show you why you will WANT it to be. It will become part of your daily practice. The ability to be aware of everything you think, say, feel and do is paramount to stay in the present moment and connect with your true purpose here.
- Meditation is a way to raise your vibration, a great place to start. Lift your vibration moves you into another space…head and heart space.
- MEDITATION HAS BEEN MY BEST FRIEND, MY BIGGEST TEACHER AND IT’S one of the many tools I USE TO KEEP a clear CONNECTION TO MY HIGHER SELF. I’LL EXPLAIN the term HIGHER SELF, BECAUSE I will USE THAT TERM OFTEN. EXPLAIN HERE
MISCONCEPTION: WE HAVE TO SIT FOR HOURS TO GET ANYWHERE…WHERE ARE WE TRYING TO GET?
- When I first started, I thought had to be long, then I judged myself. Then I felt bad I didn’t do it...never ending guilt…I don’t want you to feel that.
Personal Story: Meditation at The Yoga Loft – I’ve been practicing yoga and meditation for almost 20 years. Back in Vermont, I owned a commercial janitorial service which did very well and from that income I was able to follow my passion of yoga. I opened a studio….
What this did, was keep me wondering if it could happen again. It also made me realize that whatever that was, it happened in an instant, I just closed my eyes. Still, during those years, meditation was a challenge…it still is, if I’m being honest…
WHAT IS MEDITATION:
- practicing the ability to be aware of things, notice things…anything. From your mind chatter to the food you are eating. It’s a training of the mind. Mind is a muscle…So, if you think you can’t meditate because you can’t stop your mind chatter, then I’m going to tell you to sit and notice your mind chatter. Focus on one thing.
- sit and watch your thoughts enter your mind. Pay some attention to them. Don’t judge them or yourself. Notice without denial, blame, guilt, or shame. Then watch them float out of your mind and if another comes in, well notice that too. Almost like you are watching them, but not interacting with them. You are aware, but not thinking
To be honest, I spend about 70% of my meditation time just noticing my thoughts and following my breath. It’s a practice…you have to practice.
- There’s no final place to be. The place to be is where you are. You become the “witness,” witnessing your own consciousness. You could spend hours and hours meditating, but if you aren’t aware of your thoughts or the way you interact with others, you are not evolving. IT’s a process. Can’t have inner gaze without outer awareness.
WHERE, LENGTH, WAYS TO MEDITATE
My time to meditate now is at 3am. It’s the time when the energy coming into the new day is the strongest. I’ve fluctuated times when I meditated. It all depended on what I was doing, where I was living and who was around. That still is something you are going to have to work out for yourself. However, MORNING meditations do set you up for a great day.
- It’s a personal preference based on your life and what’s going on for you
- Create Personal space
- Warm and comfy
- Eye shades for darkness?
- Used to be ½ or more
- New way is less time and more frequently
- Different ways to meditate/not just with eyes closed
- Sitting in a chair vs Lying down.
- Brushing your teeth
- Driving and paying attention to your breath…belly out, belly in…also
Great for core strength!
- Speaking…interesting one. Listen and speak consciously…with awareness
- Stop multi-tasking at least once a day
- Following your breath and counting
- Focus on a picture in your mind – great for kids too
- YOGA a meditation in motion
Lastly, how to find good guided meditations
- Yoga or meditation class…suggestions what types?
- Online, so many now than when I started. YouTube or meditation apps (I’m working on an app myself) For YouTube, plug in the minutes too.
Meditation is a practice. Just as you wouldn’t step right onto a baseball diamond and know how to play baseball, neither would you start to meditate and expect to be perfect. There is no perfection.
HOW DO YOU KNOW YOU’VE ACHIEVED MEDITATION? You know when you’ve achieved meditation when you set the intention to sit.
STORIES OF SPIRIT COMING TO ME:
- You know when it’s time to sit. How are you feeling?
- Most of my greatest aha moments happened as soon as I closed my eyes. I know that Spirit is right there with us all the time. Ask for help from your guides while meditating. We all have guides, angels, loved ones in spirit who want to help us, they wait to be asked though.
The soul of Mr. Lincoln said it very well, “Do not seek the silence; become the silence” That’s it in a nutshell. Stop searching for the answers. THERE ISN’T ANYTHING TO FIND IN MEDITATION; ONLY BECOME.
Go within, the answer is ALWAYS TO GO WITHIN. THAT’S A MEDITATION ALL THE TIME.